Sunday, May 21, 2006

Let the Sewing Commence!


I have an early birthday present - a new sewing machine! I am so excited, because this means that I can start on Nora's crib bedding and her one hundred good wishes quilt. Of course I need some practice first and my "How to use your sewing machine" classes don't start until June 22, so I'm inventing some smaller, low-impact projects to get some sewing experience.

Since my Mom and Dad are sending my old doll bed (which my Dad built for me when I was a little girl) for Nora, I decided that I would make some doll bedding that would match Nora's crib bedding. Nora's basic bedding - sheets and bedskirt - are Company Kids hot pink gingham and I found a lady bug quilt pattern (shown in second photo) that I plan to make for her in hot pink and apple green. The crib bedding will be a scaled-down and slightly modified version of that. The photo shows the ladybug bodies in progress in the five hot pink fabrics that I selected for the doll's quilt. I think it will be really cute. Of course I'll post a photo when it's finished.

P.S. If you are interested in the ladybug quilt pattern, it is "Ladybug, Ladybug..." by Teri Christopherson. I ordered it online from The Winding River Quilt Shop http://www.windingriverquiltshop.com/