Saturday, February 17, 2007

Do you ever wonder if it's a test?

We received our home study update in the mail yesterday, so we have everything we need to apply for our I-171H extension. Knowing that our local USCIS office has been known to experience periods of slowness (our first I-171H took 11-1/2 weeks!), I want to be sure to get it all ready and sent off this weekend. I've read every bit of instruction we've received - messages from our home study agency, messages from our placement agency, a mailing we received from an adoption support network that I must have subscribed to at some point. Of course, all were different. Here's what I think we need to send:
  • Cover letter
  • Completed I-600A application
  • Photocopy of our previous I-171H approval
  • Photocopy of previous fingerprint expiration information
  • Photocopy of each of our birth certificates
  • Photocopy of our marriage certificate
  • Two photocopies of our original home study
  • Original + 1 copy of our home study update
  • Original + 1 copy of our home study addendum
  • Check for $685, payable to "Department of Homeland Security"

At the top of the cover letter it is supposed to say either "EXTENSION" or "ORPHAN". I'm not sure which is right, so ours will say both. Apparently "EXTENSION" needs to be highlighted and "ORPHAN" needs to be green.

As I am so carefully following every instruction, I have to wonder is this real? Does it really make things easier for the USCIS? ~or~ Is it some sort of test by which they weed out the lazy or uncommitted? ~or~ Is it purely for entertainment and they just laugh when we do this?

No comments: