Sunday, February 18, 2007

Today's lesson in opposites (aka the camera dilemma)

We have not done much preparation for our trip to China, but one thing that has become clear to me over the past year or so is that I will not be able to carry my beloved digital SLR every place we go. It's a great camera, but it's big and it's heavy. Too big. Too heavy.

So, for Christmas, Rob got me a teeny little camera. It is so teeny that I can carry it in my pocket ... and it's 10 megapixel so the images are really quite good. It can also take short video, which will be nice for our first days with Nora. There are a couple of tradeoffs though. The big camera has better optics and it's MUCH faster; it powers up instantly and takes some crazy number of shots per second. The little one, you push the button and wait for what feels like an eternity. I took it with us to the dog park once and came away with a bunch of pictures of Maddie's tail (the rest of her was out of the frame).

I'm determined to learn to use the little one, though, because there is no way I'm going to schlep the giant camera and a baby and a boatload of baby stuff all across China. Now what I wonder about is video. Is it worth it or will we never watch? Is a video camera something we'll want or can we get by with video clips from the Elph? What about those one-use video cameras from CVS?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was having the same problem. Although, the camera that I purchased isn't that much lighter. I got the Canon S3 IS. It's a point and shoot but it's got a body that is similar to the SLR. My other smaller camera doesn't seem to take great pictures.

SARA said...

We went for the video cam too. Our camera takes the short videos too but doesn't have volume. And the videos weren't long enough for me. We bought the JVC Everio video cam. It's pretty nice.

Anonymous said...

Oooh hubby got me a tiny weeny camera for Xmas too! Must admit i havent used it better get crackin as our referal is getting closer every day
Little Miss Ladybird
Come visit us! Please sign our Guestbook, dont be shy!