Sunday, March 25, 2007

Walking the dog

It is a lovely Spring day today - 64 ° and sunny! - and Rob has gone into the office, so I decided to take Maddie on a walk. Oh my goodness. We have a lot of work to do before Maddie can walk with a stroller. She pulls, she's distracted by wildlife (especially squirrels - which she chases) and she doesn't pay attention to me like she should.

We have a gentle leader from our obedience classes, so we started off using that. That experiment lasted about 4 blocks, then I switched the leash over to her regular buckle collar. She needed a lot of correction at first, especially when she spotted a squirrel, but by the end of our walk she was at my knee where I wanted her. She was even good when we passed people she knows and when our neighbor Mason (who's about 7 or 8) passed us on his scooter.

I called Rob when we got home and we've made a pact to only walk Maddie on her leather lead (not the flexi) and really work on her pulling and squirrel chasing. If she doesn't improve, I won't be able to take her on walks with Nora and that would make me sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just love your dog! We have 2 young active border collies & have had to use the Gentle Leader on Molly until she learnt not to pull & gallop ahead of us! We have practised walking with them & an empty pram a couple of times to give them the idea of what will be expected of them! Mind you we did this early in the morning, lol so enquiring passerbys wouldnt poke their head into the pram and discover it empty! Would no doubt have thought we were psycho HA HA!!
Come & visit us at our home on the web
Little Miss Ladybird
We also have a private blog - Genuine adoption community are welcome to request username & password. Email me at momladybird@yahoo.com.au