Friday, May 04, 2007

Mad, mad, mad - I'm mad.

Great news - Chinese immersion schools have come to our area!! Bad news - we live across a state line from these programs, so Nora won't be eligible to attend. Not even if we pay tuition. I know. I asked. This STINKS.

I've also learned from a friend that our local school district does not offer any foreign language programming at the elementary level. This REALLY STINKS, not just for Nora, but for all the kids in our community.
Those of you who know us know that moving to the other state is not an option. Long story. Project house.
So I figure that there are two options. Right now I'm pursuing both:
(1) Convince the immersion school in the neighboring state - where we both work, by the way - to let our kids attend if we pay tuition. For the record, Chuck in my van pool suggested that I get a P.O. box in the other state and "fudge" our way in and I deemed this unethical. One karma point for me.
(2) Devote my time and energy to bringing language programming to our up-and-coming school district. I just sent an email to my unwitting victim the district learning services director, offering my assistance in the matter.
Thankfully, I have a little time. I figure that Nora will be able to attend Chinese daycare for 4-5 years until I can impose my will on the world figure things out.
For anyone facing the same problem, here are a couple of resources:
and, of course, there's always my favorite book.

1 comment:

J said...

Sorry to hear that the Immersion program will not allow out of state right now. Our district does not offer language for Elementary age either. That is why we are going out of district for B next Fall. I know language programs are popping up all over so there is a lot of interest. I think offering to "help" your school district is a great idea.