Monday, May 21, 2007

Sometimes they turn out really, really well

The women in my adoption book club at work* know how much I worry about being a good parent. It's one of those good-thing-bad-thing aspects of a long wait. Good thing: I've got lots of time to read and prepare for Nora. Bad thing: Most of the books focus on what can go wrong. It can be very discouraging. Raising kids is hard. Not just adopted kids, raising any kid is hard.

Just when I think it's impossible to get it right, something happens to change my mind. This weekend it was my niece's high school graduation. Sometime I'll need to ask my brother and his wife how they did this amazing thing. Their kids are smart, funny and kind. How does it happen? I think it must be good parenting. Maybe I should send Nora to spend some time with them...

* Yes, we have an adoption book club at work! Isn't that cool??!! It's sort of an add-on to the adoption network that J coordinates. Our first book was Are Those Kids Yours? and our second was Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew. Up next is - I think - Beyond Good Intentions. I'd better check on that. The next discussion is in about 6 weeks and I'll have some time to read over Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: