Wednesday, November 28, 2007

More on the toxic toy issue

First I want to apologize from my recent lack of posts. I've been afflicted with a post-turkey malaise. Now, though the tryptophan has worn off, our tree is up and we've started our Christmas shopping. I'm back.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the Consumer Union's campaign to improve toy safety. I also sent emails to both senators and our representative (all three whom I voted for and all who ignored my previous messages about the I-171H). This time I did get a response from one (the one who I like best, by the way). Here's his response:
~~~

Dear [My Name],

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about the inspection and safety of imported products, particularly those from China. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share the concerns I have heard from many [people of our state] about the safety and quality of imported food and products. These concerns were highlighted recently by contaminated wheat gluten that has been found to be responsible for the sickness and death of thousands of pets across the U.S. and by the recall of Chinese-made toys that were contaminated with lead paint or otherwise found to be unsafe.

I supported an amendment offered by Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) to S. 1082, the Prescription Drug User Fee Amendments of 2007. The amendment would establish an early warning surveillance system for pet illness; require the Secretary of Health and Human Services to improve its data collection and reporting requirements for firms that find adulterations in food products; and encourage the Secretary to enter into memorandums of understanding with high risk trading partners and commit to working in the future on improving Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) ability to regulate imports. The Senate passed this amendment on May 2, 2007, by a vote of 94-0.

I also joined Senator Durbin and several of my colleagues in sending a letter to Senate Appropriations Subcommittee Chairman Herb Kohl (D-WI) and Ranking Member Richard Bennett (R-UT) in support of adequate funding for the FDA's food inspection services, particularly the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, in the fiscal year 2008 Department of Agriculture appropriations bill.

You may be aware that the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is responsible for ensuring the safety of imported consumer products, including toys. In July 2007, Thomas Moore, Commissioner of the CPSC, released a statement stating that budget cuts have limited the CPSC's ability to carry out its mission and recommending that Congress reject the Administration's budget cuts proposed for fiscal year 2008.

I will closely monitor funding for food and product inspection when the Senate considers fiscal year 2008 appropriations bills for the FDA and CPSC. In addition, several legislative proposals have been introduced to address inadequacies in the current inspection system, and I will keep your thoughts in mind should any such legislation come before the full Senate. On September 12, 2007, the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Subcommittee held a hearing on CPSC funding and the recent recalls of toys. If you are interested in more information about this hearing, I encourage you to visit <http://appropriations.senate.gov/hearings.cfm>.

Thanks again for contacting me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future about this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,
[Our Senator's Name]
United States Senator

~~~
It seems like a form letter - but, of course, what I sent him was also a form letter and I'm sure that senators cannot personally respond to every concerned citizen who writes to them. Overall, I'm pleased that I received a response.

I've also read some of the testimony on the senate appropriations site (link in the senator's email above). It's pretty interesting. If you read just one, this would be a good choice - it's Senator Durbin's opening statement from the CPSC hearing.

No comments: