Friday, November 02, 2007

Toy box - check. New project!!

Nora's toy box is just about done. I'm still waiting for the polyurethane on the lid to dry before we put the hinges on, but I couldn't wait to show it to you. Rob says that my lettering looks Dr Seuss-ish; I just think it is playful and fun.

Here is it with the cushion. I think I'm going to make a pillow too (probably with the fabrics reversed - green stripe for the body and pink butterfly for the piping)
***

Now that the toy box is done, I'm ready to move on to our next project - Nora's dresser! I had an old walnut dresser that I bought at auction several years ago. It is similar in style to a dresser of my Grandma's that my mom refinished for us (top photo at left - don't worry, I'm not touching that one) and originally I thought that they could be a set. The auction dresser, though, isn't really in good enough condition for a natural wood finish and I'm not sure there's room enough in our bedroom for another big piece of furniture, so I decided to paint it for Nora's room.

I've selected a light green paint color and plan to do a medium green glaze on top (it's the top two colors on the paint chip in the photo to the left). I've never used glaze before, I hope it's not too hard. I bought the faux finish DVD at Home Depot, but it shows something fussier than what I want. So, I've invented a hybrid approach using a combination of the technique described on the faux finish DVD and what I read in the Ralph Lauren paint flyer I picked up. What I *think* I'm supposed to do is:

  1. Prime the piece
  2. Paint it the base color (light green)
  3. Apply glaze (one part medium green paint mixed with four parts glaze) with a wide paint brush
  4. Apply protective polyurethane topcoat

Will that work? Any pointers?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the box and cant wait to see the rest of your projects

Anonymous said...

I love the play box! That is just so cute!!!

Angela said...

I can't believe you made that!! You are so talented ~ I can't wait to see the dresser. Love the colors!

Angela :)

Kim R. said...

The toy box rocks! Really great work. I love the type style.

Your plan for the dresser will work, too. I wish I could start on Kristen's room, but not yet. Sigh...

Kim R.