Monday, May 05, 2008

Packing list challenge #7 - baby meds

I haven't written about the packing list challenge in a while and slacking off is only part of the explanation. I skipped the March challenge (caretaker/orphanage/government official gifts) because our agency provides guidelines by province. I want to follow their guidelines, but it means that we can't purchase gifts until after we receive our referral. I consider this sort of an excused absence.

April's baby meds challenge was doable, though -- and even prompted me to find a pediatrician! Part of what I discussed with her in our first consultation was travel meds for Nora. I know that a lot of people take antibiotics with them to China, but I was concerned about this, mostly because I don't believe that I am qualified to diagnose a bacterial infection and I know that improper use of antibiotics is partly responsible for drug-resistant "super bugs". We talked about this for a while and agreed that the human body, if well cared-for, is amazingly capable of healing itself. What I will carry are Elimite (a prescription for scabies, a kind of louse prevalent in orphanages), hydrocortisone cream (to relieve itching due to scabies), pain reliever, and not a lot else. If Nora is sicker than that, she needs medical attention anyway.

Here's my list-to-date (all over-the-counter, except for the Elimite) and a photo of what we've got so far:


  • Aquaphor for eczema
  • Little Noses saline drops
  • Neosporin antibiotic ointment for cuts/scratches
  • Benadryl
  • Bulb aspirator
  • A&D ointment
  • Digital rectal thermometer
  • KY jelly (assume this is for the thermometer)
  • Adhesive bandages
  • First aid tape
  • Gauze
  • Alcohol wipes (not shown)
  • Aveeno hydrocortizone cream for eczema or itching due to scabies
  • T-gel shampoo for cradle cap -- do I need this?
  • Baby Tylenol
  • Baby Motrin
  • L'Occitane lavender wipes (as bug repellent, not shown)
  • Orajel (not shown - we have a couple of different kinds, in a couple of different flavors)
  • Children's ear planes (for ear pressure on the plane)
  • Children's sea bands (for motion sickness)

Still needed:

  • Elimite
  • Echinacea
  • Pediatric electrolyte powder
  • Baby sunscreen
  • Small scissors

Ok, give it to me straight. Too much stuff? Not enough? (I have a bias toward thinking it's too much)

Also, I have a funny husband story to share. Rob and I were talking this evening about the possibility of being referred twins and what our second name would be. We have an already-agreed-upon second name -- or so I thought -- but Rob seems to think that all names should be nickname-able. I disagree. I didn't like either of his suggested nicknames for our second girl name and I think a really good name stands on its own. So, I asked Rob what nickname he thought he'd use for Nora (which I consider non-nickname-able). His answer: "No".

Score: Rob 1, Jennifer 0.*

*notice that Rob goes by a nickname and I use the name that my parents gave me, just thought I'd point that out.

4 comments:

Snugglebug Mama said...

I'd say too much stuff - that said I took a lot with me too! Ironically one of the things I ended up needing is one I did not have... an anti-diarrheal. And you know what - they had it in China, which is true of most of the meds we all cart with us to China.

What did I really use? Hylands teething tablets are fab, but I had Orajel with me, an ear thermeter (didn't want to mess with the rectal - brought back childhood memories). I hear that there is a version availabe now that you just roll over the forehead that works really well. Oh yes, Infant Ibuprofen & the powdered version of pediatyle. That's really it, and I had a sick girl on my hands

It's so hard to know what to bring though, because you're trying to predict what you "might" need. (Personally I never used the nasal aspirator on Genevieve)

Here's hoping next month brings fabulous news!!

T n' W said...

You go girl!! I've made my list, but that's about it. Better get busy!!

Tonyia LID 1/27/06

Tracy said...

Overkill...I could have easily bought about 10 more pairs of squeaky shoes in the space in the suit case that had stuff I never used. Thing is someone else will have what you need if you don't have it or you can find it pretty easy.

Remember, you are only there a few weeks - your child has done w/o her (or his) whole life - a few more weeks won't hurt.

Take some (essentials) leave the other stuff home.

Kevin and Kim said...

I also say way TOO MUCH :)

We only took Children's Tylenol or Motrin, Oragel, basic baby bath needs/baby care, sunscreen and that is about it. Those were travel sizes. We took Mylicon gas too, but didn't need it. You really don't need the other stuff. If you do, you can find it in China, or something comparable. Take an antibiotic for the baby if your doc will give it to you...ours would not. Almost all the babies had some kind of respiratory bug.

Save the space for other stuff..soveniers, etc. You are gonna need it.

Can't wait for you to get your referral!