Monday, October 29, 2007

Birth mother searches

There was a very interesting article in yesterday's NY Times magazine section called Looking for Their Children's Birth Mothers. I am not sure that it is my place to aggressively search for Nora's birthmother, but I feel that we should make it easy for her to find us and also collect any information we are able to collect to make it easier for Nora should she decide to search on her own someday.

I need to get ready for work, so I'll have to comment more on this later. I just wanted to get the link out there while I was thinking about it. In case the link is not obvious, click on the title of the article above and that'll take you there.

Have a great day!

Thanks to Jane for her comment. I agree that it should be Nora's choice. I wonder, though, if there's something I should be doing while she's young and the trail fresher to collect some information that might help her with a search later. I don't even know what that would be at this point, I suppose whatever finding information is available - date, location, what she was wearing, etc. Of course if there was a note, that would be wonderful to have. I don't know what else to ask/look for - thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oops, thanks for posting that link!

Rydley said...

Interesting article. Services like this are popping up in China and I just researched many of them. Most say little about finding birthparents - mainly they're set up to find out about the kid's history in orphanage or foster care. After lengthy discussion with my sister (a foreign adoptee who has little to no interest in finding her birthparents) and some adoptee friends, we examined our motivations and decided that, at this point, we would not push to find out more. If our daughter wants to later, however, we will fully support her.