Saturday, October 20, 2007

Attention artsy and creative people! Your help is needed!

You might remember my toy box project. Like all my projects, progress has been slow ... but I do have a couple of coats of paint on it and a cushion made (making the cushion, by the way, was far more difficult than I'd expected). Here's what it looks like right now. Sorry to make you look at our messy garage, but that's where it is at the moment.

You can't tell in the picture, but the toy box has some dings in it. Dings that are more obvious now that it's painted white. It doesn't really bother me that it has dings, but I wonder if it could look better.

Tell me. What would you do with this? Paint the spindles a different color? Paint something on the front of the toy box (I was thinking maybe the word "play")? Leave it as it is?

I do want to quickly show you the inside - it's my favorite part. For some reason, lime green just makes me happy.

4 comments:

Rydley said...

Hi! Thanks for your post on our blog! I check yours now and then and always get good book ideas!

So, for my opinion about the toychest: it depends on the wall color. If it's white, I'd paint the spindles, if not, I'd leave it as is!

Anonymous said...

I'd take that lime green...so yummy btw...and write the word PLAY, just like you said. Then I'd paint a wavy polka dot trail up to the word and after the word too. Let the fabric you used inspire the polka dots. (Does that make sense?) You could also try to paint just the top sphere of the legs in the green, or maybe a pink like in the fabric. If it looks okay, paint the bottom one too, or more, keep going until you think it's embellished just enough. Be sure to share whatever it is that you do. I'm sure it will be lovely!

J said...

I love the idea of painting the word PLAY on the front. I like Bobbi Jo's idea of using the fabric to inspire your embellishment. You could paint each spindle a different color (pulling in colors from the fabric and Nora's room). If you are going to do polka dots, Michael's (and JoAnn's I'm sure) has small circular sponges that work awesome for painted polka dots.
Good luck

Snugglebug Mama said...

I had the same thought as Bobbi Jo about using the fabric as inspiration on the front... maybe pull out the butterfly or the polka dots like she said. Or Maybe a stencil of the word play, or you can even deco podge the word using paper or the butterfly image. I deco podged the drawer fronts of my girl's dresser with scrap book paper, and it turned out really cute!