Sunday, December 09, 2007

Timing and the slowdown

The RQ has a great graphic showing wait times from LID to referral over the past couple of years. Rob and I first started researching China adoption in June 2005, began our paper chase in late July 2005 and our dossier was logged in on January 16, 2006 (this is our "LID" or log in date). So, our expectations at the beginning were for a 6-8 month wait. I told everyone October 2006, though, thinking that was a conservative estimate. Ha, shows what I know.
Here's the table from the RQ's site:
This is good proof I think of what has happened to the timing of the China program. Next month, the wait will pass the two year mark and it's still getting longer. Everyone hopes for a speed-up, but considering the number of waiting families I don't see how that could possibly happen. Most agencies are telling clients that the wait will continue to lengthen, which to me seems like the responsible message for them to convey.
Anyway, if the 6 days/month holds, that will put us in June. The RQ has a new LID poll up now that will tell us more about the numbers of dossiers ahead of us. If there are fewer dossiers per day than there were in Nov and early Dec 2005, then maybe we'll get our referral a little sooner - May? Maybe. I hate to get my hopes up because so far every time I think it can't get worse, it does.

No comments: