Monday, February 04, 2008

Phthalates - they're everywhere!

I've written here before about the dangers of phthalates in toys and baby bottles. Today in Yahoo! news, I learned that elevated phthalate levels have been found in babies who had recently used baby bath products.

Even more alarming is that manufacturers are not required to list fragrance ingredients which are a common source of phthalates. The article suggests looking for products labeled as "phthalate-free". I'll have to check the stuff I bought for Nora - it came from the organic market, but you never know.

Here's a link to the article (click on the word article).

1 comment:

J said...

I just checked B's baby wash/shampoo. Sure enough all they list is "fragrance". Back to store I go !!! Thank you for keeping up on this. B's school has a very cool "Be Green" theme this year. I have a cool list of simple/earth friendly cleaning products. I send you a copy. It's amazing how simple (and effective) cleaning products can be.