Sunday, February 24, 2008

Time to buy car seats?

This is the week. Britax car seats are on sale - 15%-20% off with free shipping pretty much anyplace you look. This is probably a smart time for us to buy. Prices are good and it will be one less thing that we have to do in the weeks between referral and travel.

I read the reviews in Consumer Reports and they reviewed the Roundabout (which did very well) and the Marathon (which did not so well). I didn't see the Boulevard or Diplomat reviewed, possibly because they are newer models. Right now I'm preferring the Boulevard because it has side impact protection, can be used for children up to 65 lbs and is approved for airline use. I am a little concerned about its size, though, and wonder if the Diplomat might not be a better choice for that reason - the Diplomat also has side-impact protection and is approved for airline use, but the maximum weight is 40 lbs. Do I care? Will we be switching to a booster then anyway?

**Update Rob and I chatted about the car seat and decided to go with the Diplomat (in the Taylor fabric, pictured in the photo above). I ordered two, one for each car. I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.**

5 comments:

J said...

Ahhh !! the hunt for the perfect carseat. Mind boggling wasn't it??? Just wait until you search for a booster!!! We have an Evenflo Triumph carseat and are happy with it. I think it needs a little more padding but overall like it alot. I'm not sure how it rates against a Britax. Definitely try the seat in both cars. We made the mistake of registering for a carseat we "thought" would fit our cars and it didn't.

Tracy said...

Good for you on sticking with the 40 lber! I debated the same while waiting. Then I realized Muriel would be 7 by the time she weighed over 40lbs. What 7 year old wants to sit in a "baby" looking car seat! Not to mention the larger seats are too big for my car (subaru forester). I think if they had that diplomate 2 years ago I'd have gone for that. It's cute!

Snugglebug Mama said...

Interesting - the Marathon did well in the past and it's the one I have.

Glad you bought it now - they never go on sale otherwise!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

I really need to work on proof reading!

Good to hear Brittax is on sale right now! We might have to take a look. We've had the Roundabout for Eloise for over 3 years and love it. We're debating between getting a bigger one for her or a booster. She is still only 27 lbs at 4 years of age. A booster would fit better in the back of our Durango, but she sleeps so comfortably in the carseat. I think it might be easier for her to buckle herself in a 5 pt. carseat, rather than trying to wrangle the seat belt across. I don't know - but I suppose we better figure it out soon!

Let us know what you think of the one you decided on. :)