Friday, August 03, 2007

Dilettante

dil·et·tante
1. a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, esp. in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler. 2. a lover of an art or science, esp. of a fine art. –adjective 3. of or pertaining to dilettantes.

My friend B called me that once and truth-be-told I am a bit of a dabbler. I'm really good at starting projects and throwing myself wholeheartedly into the effort... at the beginning. I'm not so good at finishing things because I lose interest, or more accurately get distracted by something new.

As much as I've come to love sewing, staying on-task with Nora's one hundred good wishes quilt (OHGWQ) has been a challenge for me. I am determined to have the quilt top finished before we go up North in September, though. Really what's keeping me going is the burning desire to start on Nora's crib quilt and I know that Rob will never let me hear the end of it if I start another project before finishing the OHGWQ!

Here's the inspiration to move forward (this is the fabric for Nora's crib quilt, I bought it last weekend):

I think it is going to be so cute and I love the fabric! I'm a little intimidated by all the applique, though. I keep trying to machine applique, and I'm not sure that I like the results. Probably I will go back to hand (needle-turn) applique.

No comments: