Monday, August 27, 2007

That'll teach me to read the newspaper

Two weekends ago we were in IL visiting family and I happened to read the Sunday Chicago Tribune. There was an article on the front page of the business section that caught my eye -- A family tries 12 months without 'Made in China'

At first I thought it was a pro-American kind of thing, reduce the trade deficit, etc. That part all sounded pretty good; we should all be concerned about the trade deficit. Then I read the article. They aren't about addressing the trade deficit - Legos from Denmark and expensive Italian shoes are apparently ok, only Chinese goods are forbidden. European good, Asian bad. Racist much?

I also totally discounted the whole experiment when I read that they didn't realize that Hong Kong is part of China.

Read the article. Let me know if it rubs you wrong too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankly, these people don't sound like the sharpest tools in the shed, to me.

And this proved.....what, exactly?

J said...

I'm not sure what her main point of this exercise was but I guess it did not hit me as a racist thing. I guess you could say she is just trying to get people to read the product labels and understand where the majority of our consumer products we are purchasing are coming from. Is this going to change people? Probably not, but if it gets a few people to read the "made in..." label, I guess she has done her job.

I agree that she needs to brush up on her geography.