Thursday, August 16, 2007

Toxic baby bottles - in case there isn't enough to worry about

Precisely three days after buying baby bottles I heard a news story about the dangers of polycarbonate baby bottles. I should have known this, especially since Rob threw out all our Nalgene bottles a year ago for the same reason. You can read more about this on the link above, but in a nutshell the BPA used in polycarbonate bottles leaches into food and poses some health hazards.

I guess I should be happy that the bottles I bought were a combination of Playtex "premium"* polycarbonate bottles with drop-ins (the drop-ins are plastic, but not polycarbonate) and Playtex nursers (not polycarbonate and also used with drop-ins). It could have been worse. Still, though, I am thinking about taking them back. I wonder what's worse - a plastic bottle with a drop-in that might leach something or a glass bottle that might break. As far as I know there is no such thing as a stainless steel baby bottle.

I also thought about baby dishes a while back (making it all that much weirder that I didn't recognize the bottle issue) and have been actively looking for stainless steel dishes and storage containers. In case you are wondering, there are not many available. I found this dish, this dish and these storage containers and not a lot else. Even Kiwi magazine (I know, we have some tree-hugger tendencies) - which first put this anti-plastic dish concern in my head - didn't have anything to offer up. If anyone has other suggestions for non-plastic baby dishes and food storage containers, please let me know.

* don't you love the "premium" bit - you pay extra to poison your child.

1 comment:

Snugglebug Mama said...

I believe it is plastics with 2, 5 & 7 on the bottle that pose the risk... there are bottles made with different kinds of plastic. I thought I'd sent you a link to an article on this, but maybe not. Check out the babytoolkit blog. They do all kinds of reviews on all kinds of fun things and addressed this subject in an older post which included a link to some research on the subject.

As an alternative, check out Thermos' Foogoo line. (When I bought mine it could only be found at target.com) They have 7 ounce sippy cups, 12 ounce "bottles" with straws and food storage devices. Not only are they made from stainless steel (so no nasty plastic to worry about) they keep the beverages cold (6 hours for the sippy cup, 12 hours for the one with the straw) One caveat - with the sippy cup you have to be sure that you have REALLY put it back together, otherwise it can leak.