Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What brown can't do for you

I'd been planning on taking Nora's quilt up North when we go camping next month (to drop it off at the quilt shop where I wanted to have it quilted). I sent a note to the quilt shop asking about having it quilted, though, and they said that it could probably be done earlier if I sent it up. This was appealing - maybe it will be done by the time we go up and I can bring it home with us. Great news, right?

It was, except it meant that I needed to ship Nora's quilt. I rarely have any trouble shipping anything, but the thought of packing something irreplaceable in a cardboard box made me VERY nervous. Yesterday, though, I worked up all my courage and took it over to the UPS store to have shipped. The guy gave me some waiver to sign and I was supposed to fill in the value of the item. "Priceless" was not an acceptable answer. Neither was "One Million Dollars". Mean, heartless man made me put a dollar value on my baby's quilt. I called it $500, which I think doesn't come close to covering the time and energy (and fabric) involved in this project, but he wasn't going to send it otherwise, so that's what I did and paid the extra $5 for $500 worth of insurance. Since then I've been anxiously checking the package tracking site every chance I get. Good news - this afternoon delivery was confirmed at the quilt shop. Pretty good service, don't you think? Felt like a million years though.

2 comments:

J said...

yippee, glad to hear "the package" made it safely. Whew, what a relief.

NorasMommy said...

It was awful waiting for it to get there, I was so worried that it would get lost or damaged. Today I received an email from Carol, the quilter. I think she is going to do a butterfly pattern in green thread, but we're still talking about some of the details.

Her communication has been very good, though, and I know that she does most of the quilting for the shop, so I'm confident in her ability.

Of course I will worry until we have it home safe and sound, though!

~Jennifer